Sound Mind Games organizes Gnoll Hack Beta April Tournament during April 2020. The participants compete together to ascend characters on public servers and receive prizes that our paid out to the participants through PayPal.
Tournament starts: April 1st, 2020 0:00 (UTC+0).
Tournament ends: April 30th, 2020 23:59 (UTC+0) or when the prize pool is depleted.
Prize Winning Conditions
- You must register for the tournament before starting to play. You can register before the tournament or at any time during the tournament.
- You must play GnollHack on our public servers (see below).
- You must ascend a character before the tournament ends. Restrictions per player apply (see below).
- You must abstain from cheating (e.g. intentional use of bugs) and using the Explore Mode.
- You must email the information about your ascension to us to [email protected] (see instructions below).
You gain a prize, when you ascend a character in GnollHack. If there is enough money in the prize pool, you will receive the following:
- $5 for ascending a character on the Very Easy difficulty.
- $10 for ascending a character on the Easy difficulty.
- $15 for ascending a character on the Normal difficulty.
- $20 for ascending a character on the Hard difficulty.
- $25 for ascending a character on the Very Hard difficulty.
If there is not enough money left in the prize pool, you will gain whatever is left and the tournament ends.
Multiple ascensions are allowed for each player.
Restrictions for Ascensions
The following limitations apply for each player:
- Maximum total prize amount is $65 per player.
- You can ascend maximum of 1 character on the Very Easy difficulty.
- You can ascend maximum of 1 character on the Easy difficulty.
- You can ascend maximum of 1 character of each role/class.
You need to send the information that you have ascended to [email protected], with the following information:
- Your PayPal email.
- The server that you played on.
- Your account name on that server.
- The role/class of the character that you ascended.
- The difficulty you played on.
- Optional. If you live streamed your ascension: A link to the saved Twitch or YouTube stream that contains your ascension. You can have multiple saved streams, and then you just send links to all of them. You should also tell the point of time in the stream that contains your ascension.
Please note that the prizes will be paid out in the order of received emails. So, please be sure to email us immediately after you have ascended. If the prize pool gets depleted, no prizes will be paid after that. We will pay the prizes after the tournament so that multiple ascensions are paid as one payment.
You must register for the tournament at the following address:
The registration is free. There is no fee for participating in the tournament.
You can register even after the tournament has started. The tournament email list is used to send information about the tournament to the participants. Especially, we will inform you when people ascend and how much of the prize pool is left after each ascension.
Playing on Public Servers
You need to play GnollHack on our public servers:
[email protected](Ohio, USA)
[email protected](Frankfurt, Germany)
[email protected](Sydney, Australia)
[email protected](Seoul, South Korea)
- Windows: PuTTY: https://www.putty.org/
- macOS: Use the Terminal and the
sshcommand to connect.
- Linux: Use the Terminal and the
sshcommand to connect.
- Windows: Activate Curses Interface on Windows
- macOS: Activate Curses Interface on macOS
- Linux: Activate Curses Interface on Linux
You may live stream your tournament games on Twitch or YouTube. For doing so, you get a $5 bonus for ascending. You can find our live streaming instructions here:
Since GnollHack is still in beta, we wish that the participants report all bugs and balance issues to us. You can use our forum or our GitHub page to report bugs and balance issues. Please take a screenshot of the bugs, when they occur.
We have a discussion forum at:
We have our issue tracker here:
We have a GnollHack wiki at:
The wiki has also tutorials.
Starting Guide for Beginners
Starting Guide for NetHack Veterans
Remember to check also the changed key bindings, such as Alt+s for saving.
You can chat on our Discord server about the tournament: